Lum-chan the Rebel Without a Cause (ラムちゃんの理由なき反抗, Ramu-chan no Riyūnaki Hankō) is the 72nd episode of Urusei Yatsura.
Ataru is the producer/director of a film about school violence, involving most of class 2-4, which results in delirious outcomes.
- Ataru Moroboshi
- Shūtarō Mendō
- Shinobu Miyake
- Ryūnosuke Fujinami
- Ryūnosuke's Father
- The episode title is based on the 1955 film Rebel Without a Cause.
- There is a reference to the poster of the 1939 film Gone with the Wind with Lum and Mendo replacing Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable.
- There is a reference to My Fair Lady when Ryūnosuke imagines herself dressed like Audrey Hepburn in that movie.
- Unbaba Tetsu and the Franken Brothers of Sanrinbō High School return, having first appeared in Episode 64.
- The Franken Brothers would return in Episode 99.
Differences from the Manga
The manga begins with the screening, but follows reasonably closely from that point.
- Ryūnosuke doesn't appear since she had yet been introduced.
- Kōsuke Shirai is the one with the sunglasses instead of Perm, which conceal a giant axe instead of a laser.
- Mendō breaks the projector instead of Shinobu.
- The punks showing up in Tomobiki High School are just regular punks of Butsumetsu High School.
- Sakura appears at the end treating the injured in Class 2-4.