Sorry to keep you waiting! I'm Lum.
Lum meets Ataru Moroboshi when he was randomly selected by a computer to face her in a game of tag with the fate of the earth on the line. Ataru had been promised marriage by Shinobu Miyake if he could win, and upon catching Lum, he declared "Now I can get married!" and Lum mistook this as a proposal to herself and accepted it. As engagements are sacred on her planet, she's become completely determined to be married to Ataru for the rest of her life, falls completely in love with him, and refers to him as "Darling (ダーリン, Darling?)". Thus she's forced her way into his life as his "loving wife", and violently shocks him whenever he looks at or flirts with another girl (or if he does something to make her mad), but she always forgives him in the end.
Lum's a sweet, innocent, faithful, and good-natured girl, but she can also get jealous and get hot-tempered, usually due to Ataru and his incessant addiction of flirting. However, in early chapters of the manga and at least till the start of season 2 of the anime, Lum had a nasty streak, almost antagonistic towards many of the characters. She even hatched schemes to be with Ataru when Shinobu was involved.
Her ears are slightly pointy and she has long green hair. She has two tiny horns on her head. She also has fangs on the top of her mouth.
She wears a tiger-striped bikini (based on the tiger-striped loincloths of mythical oni, which were made out of a man's bad karma). Her bra's also used to hold some of her special devices.
When she began attending school, she wore a sailor suit and tried to act like a typical earth girl.
Powers and other Abilities
- Flight - Lum can fly up to various heights into the sky, according to her own free will.
- Electric Shock - Lum can generate massive electrical discharges, usually from her hands.
- Creates Various Devices - Lum usually creates various devices that almost always lead to turmoil, if not chaos, whenever used.
- Storing Energy - Lum can store big amounts of electricity in her body to supercharge her Electric shock, sometimes turning her body blue or gold in the process.
In the beginning of the story, Lum's constantly hugging and kissing Ataru (whether he wants to or not), but by the end she calmed down considerably and simply holds onto his arm whenever they're walking somewhere. She's usually together with Ataru and does almost everything with him, like eating lunch with him, going to school and back, or going to a festival. Because of this, she's come to consider and treat his room as her home, though Ataru insists she sleeps in the closet. Takahashi's reason for this is that 2 high school students shouldn't be sleeping together. They also share a kiss in the last episode of the series "All-Star Banquet! We Are Immortal!"(although it should be noted Ataru kisses her unprovoked in the Open Invitation ending.)
She initially saw Shinobu as a rival that challenged her love for Ataru. However, as the story dragged on, they eventually become close friends and allies, using Shinobu's strength and Lum's electrical powers to accomplish things together. Shinobu gradually concedes and moves onto trying to build a relationship with Mendō, and later Inaba in the series.
Lum has always viewed Mendō as a reliable and close friend. Although Mendō strictly loves just Lum, to where she is all that his eyes can perceive, Lum is only interested in Ataru. Mendō's very defensive and protective of Lum and he's always looking out to assist her whenever she's needed, whether with his troops or with his own life. He treats Lum in a formal fashion, and he usually treats her to invitations and events but Lum wont attend his events if Ataru won't come with her.
To be added
Since she was a child, Lum was in love Rei for his handsome look. However due to his personality, shapeshifting abilities, and huge appetite for food, Lum started to detest Rei, and eventually dumped him when she misunderstood Ataru's marriage proposal. Even so, much to her annoyance, Rei wouldn't give up on her and she expects him to move on to Ran.
Lum and Benten are childhood friends that have always caused trouble and havoc. They help each other whenever it's needed.
Lum and Oyuki are also childhood friends, but Oyuki in contrast to Lum has always held back and usually exhibited good behavior, although she has participated in the troublesome activities that Lum has participated in. Oyuki comes to Lum's assistance whenever she needs it, usually through the classroom's closet, freezing everything in her path.
Lum and Ran are childhood friends, but they share a great rivalry that's largely based in vengeance. Lum respects Ran and she's fearful of her tantrums, often "forgetting" events in the past where she got Ran in trouble. As a kid, Ran looked up to Lum as a protector, but she felt victimized by all the numerous times that Lum's gotten her in trouble, such as blaming bed wetting on her, or almost allowing her to get eaten by a dinosaur. She also despises Lum for having stolen Rei's love in the past, and she feels threatened that Lum maybe trying to steal Rei again. Then Ran followed Lum to Earth to plot her revenge. Initially, her plan was to take Ataru away from Lum, and potentially poison him with her lips. At other times, she plots to poison her herself. Despite all the hostile ambitions, Ran views Lum as a friend that she's always there for her, like one time when she was sick and Lum stayed by her bedside all night long.
Cherry and Lum have conspired and worked together multiple times (mainly in the first season.) Later one, Lum, like everyone around her, grew to dislike, or even hostility towards Cherry, though he didn't return the feelings, and often respected Lum.
Lum refers to herself in the first person as "uchi (うち, uchi?)" and she's famous for usually ending her sentences with "~datcha (～だっちゃ, ~datcha?)". When used by itself, "datcha" means "Yes". A similar speech pattern appears in Takahashi's debut work Katte na Yatsura, where the dappyamen add "dappya (だっぴゃ, dappya?)" at the end of all their sentences.
|Name||What They Call Lum||What Lum Calls Them|
|Kōsuke Shirai / Lum's Stormtroopers||Lum-chan||Unknown|
|Tomobiki High School Principal||Lum-kun||Kōchō (Principal)|
|Ryōko Mendō||Oni Woman||Ryōko|
- "Darling, you idiot!"
- "One, two, three! DIVINE RETRIBUTION!!!"
- "We're going to make a baby on Saturday night!"
- "Darling! Shinobu can go to hell!"
- "Darling, you IDIOT! Do ya wanna really forget about me!?"
- "Oooh! I will never marry such a tacky man! Tacky tacky tacky!!"
- "Umeboshi? GIVE ME UMEBOSHI!"
- "Teacher, husbands and wives should always be together, whether it's raining or windy, in the house, or even at school!"
- "Thank you, Ran. I will think hard about this..."
- "Even if it takes a "lifetime", I'll make ya say it!"
- "Will this be okay? I mean, she doesn't seem to know what darling can be like sometimes..."
- Lum's name comes from a bikini model called Agnes Lum.
- Lum is often believed to be the protagonist of the series due to her popularity. However, Rumiko Takahashi has stated on many occasions that she had always meant for Ataru to be the protagonist.
- Originally, Lum was not supposed to be a main character. She was meant to be a one time character and Shinobu was to take her place as the main love interest. However, fans loved Lum so much, that Lum became a main character; which is why Lum was absent for some of the first chapters of Urusei Yatsura.
- When Lum's horns are removed, her electric and flying abilities disappear and she becomes a regular girl.
- Lum drinks Tobasco as if it were juice and the food she cooks is violently spicy. Eating umeboshi causes her to get drunk and she dislikes garlic.
- Lum is immune to any form of electricity, as a result she can store any extra electricity in her body to power up her attack. However, if she has too much electricity stored in her body, her body and clothes grow blue and anything she touches, she electrifies it.
- Lum likes the taste of electricity, she claims it taste like candy.
- Whenever she delivers divine retribution to Ataru, she sometimes adopts the pose of Ultraman preforming his Specium Beam attack.
- Ryoko, like Lum, is an alien woman who can fly, fire some sort of energy from their body/hands, and at times, Ryoko is even portrayed as an Oni. To complete this loop, Ryoko's first canonical appearance was actually a split second cameo in [[[w:c:ranma|Ranma 1/2]]. Some art of Ryoko even in Lum's signature bikini has been made by several manga artist.