Mamoru Oshii (押井守, Oshii Mamoru?, born August 8, 1951 in Tokyo) is a director and screenwriter known for his philosophy-oriented storytelling.
Oshii's work as director and storyboard artist of the animated Urusei Yatsura TV series brought him into the spotlight, and he would go on to direct more notable animated shows and features such as Ghost in the Shell.
Time with Urusei Yatsura
- TV series
Producers criticized Oshii for the use of tanks, fighters, and the german army in the Urusei Yatsura TV series. Despite this, nothing was ever actually cut from the episodes.
Oshii was brought on to direct Only You after the previous director quit, and the film was completed in about four to five months. Oshii was not fond of the film.
Beautiful Dreamer was written by Oshii due to the previous writer's script being scrapped and a looming deadline. It became an early example of his brand of storytelling, though Oshii had felt that he might have never worked in film again if the film didn't do well.
Oshii wrote the script for Beautiful Dreamer with no consultation from Rumiko Takahashi. Takahashi had arrived in the middle of a slide presentation for the film, and when the two discussed the good and the bad after the presentation was over, their thoughts differed. The two had only met about three or four times while Oshii worked on Urusei Yatsura projects, and he stated in an interview that they seemed to "frustrate" each other.
- Urusei Yatsura
- Urusei Yatsura (TV, Episodes 1-106, 10/14/1981-3/28/1984, Chief Director)
- Urusei Yatsura: Only You (Film, 2/12/1983, Director)
- Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer (Film, 2/11/1984, Writer/Director)
- Other works
- Dallos (OVAs) (primarily animated by Studio Pierrot)
- Angel's Egg (OVA) (primarily animated by Studio Deen)
- Twilight-Q (OVAs)
- Mobile Police Patlabor (OVAs, Films, select TV episodes) (OVAs primarily animated by Studio Deen)
- Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! (OVAs) (primarily animated by Studio Pierrot)
- Ghost in the Shell (Film)
- Innocence (Film)