A transfer student at Tomobiki High School, Class 2-4. She is a girl, but because her father says the successor to the Hamachaya must be a man, he raises Ryūnosuke as a boy and insists that she is one.
When Ryūnosuke first appears, she and her father are shouting at the sea, blaming it for the fact that the Hamachaya receives no customers except during the summer. They fight so much that they accidentally destroy the Hamachaya, so they move into and operate the Tomobiki school store in order to raise money to rebuild it.
Ryūnosuke frequently fights her father not because of their martial arts-style training or for the joy of it, but simply because they have grown accustomed to fighting over the years.
She is at heart a kind and honest person and wishes no harm on anyone other than her father; her gentlemanly acts are thus as natural. She hates being touched by men and repeatedly denied them, and even the idea of being with one disgusts her. She is solely dedicated to regaining her femininity, so she only has women in her sights. Her first love was her elementary school teacher, whom she later realizes was a woman.
Because her eccentric father has raised her as a boy, Ryūnosuke behaves a lot like one, despite in fact being a girl, and hating being treated like a boy. She would love nothing more than to let her feminine side show, but her father interferes in every attempt she makes. When her father enrolled her in Tomobiki as a boy, he refused to buy her a sailor uniform, which he had promised her if she can beat him in a fight (which she is yet to accomplish).
Her warped upbringing also made her a bit naïve, susceptible to being suckered into or convinced of pretty much anything.
Ryūnosuke is usually wearing a gakuran like her male peers and a sarashi. Wanting nothing more than to be more feminine, she is saving up money to buy a bra and sailor suit, in the belief that bras cost several thousand yen (most probably thanks to her father). At one point, Shinobu Miyake promised to buy her a bra if she posed as her boyfriend in order to scare away gang leader Sōban; but as usual, Ryūnosuke's father interfered.
Powers and Abilities
- Martial-Arts Expert: Due to having a generally abusive relationship with her father and constantly fighting with him her whole life, Ryūnosuke has developed exceptional physical capabilities and is an incredibly skilled martial artist.
To be added
She ultimately hates Ataru, but still sees him as a friend, despite his lechery.
She is often supportive of Ryūnosuke, and checks on her in case the latter's spats with her father go overboard. She might have some budding feelings for Ryūnosuke, which are not explored in the series.
To be added
She gets along well with Ryūnosuke, mostly because of their similarities. Despite Benten's feminine figure and outfit, she is also hard-headed and violent. Their chemistry becomes obvious when they fought a gang together. She is also one of the few characters that acknowledges Ryūnosuke's femininity without making a joke out of it. As for her feelings towards Ryūnosuke, she became very flustered and shy when teased of the possibility of Ryūnosuke falling in love with her.
To be added
He is her fiancé.
|Name||What They Call Ryūnosuke||What Ryūnosuke Calls Them|
|Ataru Moroboshi||Ryūnosuke-chan / Ryū-chan||Moroboshi|
|Ryūnosuke's Father||Ryūnosuke||[Kuso–]Oyaji ([shitty–]father)|
- "I'm a chick, dammit!" (Untranslatable.)
- In detail: Japanese has many pronouns that mean "I". Different pronouns suggest different degrees of familiarity. The more familiar ones tend to be gendered, the less familiar ones tend to be unisex. As in English, familiarity can indicate intimacy or hostility. Ryūnosuke becomes hostile when people mistake her for a boy, so she uses the familiar, male "I" that she was brought up to use.
- Ryūnosuke resembles Saotome Ranma and Female Ranma from Rumiko Takahashi's later series, Ranma 1/2. In addition, she shares similarities to Ukyo, also from Ranma 1/2 , due to her tomboyish nature and tendency to cross-dress.
- In addition, Ryūnosuke's life style resemblance is that of Ranma himself, In this manner: Ryūnosuke was raised to become a man despite her real gender, similar to Ranma being raised by his father to become a man, despite falling into the spring of the drowned maiden existing his female counterpart.
- Her father remains a largely disliked character amongst the fandom.
- Ryūnosuke and her father make a surfing cameo in Maris the Chojo OVA.
- In the Rumic World manga The War Council, a character by the name of Ryuko Fujinami appears, and she bears a striking resemblance to Ryūnosuke. She even is the president of the combat club.